Saturday, March 20, 2010

MichCanSka Completes the Mission




MichCanSka survived their quest to complete the journey from Sault Saint Marie, Michigan to Tok, Alaska; and earned major dollars for the cause of the Diabetes Research Foundation. By all involved it was concluded to be a great success.

Personally my only two misgivings were that, as a driver (and not a snowmobiler), I was unable to make the "Run over the Top of the World" and as a consequence I never made it to Alaska and I never saw the Northern Lights.

Out of the three groups, group one suffered the heaviest burden because of its larger size (28 riders), greater number of older riders and their gender mix (all three female riders were in group one).

On the other hand, they deserve extended accolades for enduring, as well as they did the treacherousness of the long journey.

Of all the riders, group two "forced the issue" and despite the obstacles, and completed the most trail miles of the three groups; by all estimates they are believed to have ridden the trails (and ditches) for most all of, but for a comparatively scant 250 miles, the 4000 miles.

Although, they are justly deserving of praise, it must be pointed out (in defense of the other groups) that they were blessed with a smaller group (17 riders) and, by all accounts, more skilled riders.

Of the three groups, only group three lost riders during the trip; about mid-way ten of the riders (unhappy with the lack of sufficient snow, the subsequent trail conditions and the amount of "ditch banging") they chose to cut their trip short and return home.

Nonetheless, the remaining group three riders "forged ahead" and attempted to catch-up with and join group two (a quest they were never able to accomplish).

One of the things that really surprised me is just how enamored the people are with their life in the desolate environs of the Canadian north. Time and time again, I heard comments like - "I came here on vacation and never left," or "I vacationed here, went home, grabbed my things - and moved" and most common of all "I love it here!"

It would seem that with the long winter season, the high cost of living and the desolation (remember that there are only "roughly" 106,000 people living in the three territories) that the people would anything but happy - such is not the case!

Having returned home, it is now time turn my thoughts back to my motorcycle travels. My Harley is in New Orleans, "patiently" awaiting my return.

Since my return on Tuesday, the weather in Michigan has been very inviting for this, would be, motorcycle rider; but after a month travels, I'm still playing catch-up - I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed your blog about your snowmobile trip. One of our friend's dad was on the trip(group 2, team 6). We can't wait to hear his stories! Thanks for taking the time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, me again...Ralph Gordon was in group 1 team 6...oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading Anonymous (Ralph) and Anonymous. Hope you will follow me in the future.

    ReplyDelete