Monday, March 8, 2010

Dawson City - How Sweet It Is




After the previous day's ordeal, no one was suggesting that they should try to ride from Ross River to Dawson City.

Was it even possible? Certainly not within the time frame available; the schedule calls for all three groups to meet at the Dawson City, Downtown Hotel on Sunday for a Monday morning departure to Tok, Alaska, and groups two and three are still trailing by one and two days respectively.

Also, additional time is needed in Dawson City to coordinate things for the final trek to Alaska; therefore, the only reasonable choice was to trailer to Dawson City.

Accepting this reality, we departed for Dawson City by first returning back to Carmacks to pick-up the Alaskan Highway and proceed northward.

Am I just getting used to all the beauty or is the road from Carmacks to Dawson really somewhat less filled with scenic wonder (the scenic photo shown, were taken between Ross River and
Carmacks)? For the trip from to Dawson City, I was relieved of the driving responsibility and thus had the opportunity to photograph at will; but, of course, only from one side of the moving vehicle. Even with added opportunity, I took few photos and subsequently deleted many of them as not being worthy of retaining.

We arrived in Dawson City with (much to my pleasure) an hour of daylight remaining. I purposely had not research Dawson on the web; not wanting my own first perceptions of the city to be influenced by others. Whether that decision is correct or not, I will never know; I can, however, say that Dawson City, did not fail to impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment