Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slow Moving - Bad Weather

Naples to Port Richey, a little more than 180 miles - in TWO DAYS - what's wrong with this picture? It was after 4 PM before I had left Naples and so, in truth, it was little more than one day of travel; but still, at this rate it would be Monday before I even get to New Orleans - clearly not my game plan. Something needed to be done FAST.

The weather was getting colder and the forecast for the road ahead was calling for it to be both cold and wet!

My original plan had been to take the leisurely scenic route through the beach cities of Apalachicola, Panama City, Pensacola, Mobile Alabama and Gulf Port Mississippi.

Now, however, after driving north on US-19 and experiencing all the stop and go traffic, 35 mph speed limits and residential streets, I decided that there had to be better (i.e., faster) and more interesting route. With the inclement weather there just didn't seem to be much of a point - I just wanted to get there as fast as possible.

The thought of turning west and riding 25 miles back to catch I-75 didn't really appeal to me, but, at this point, it appeared to be the best option. Thus far, the weather had cooperated, but it didn't look like it would hold off much longer - and it didn't!

I was, however, able to make it to a gas station in Ocala before the real downpour hit, and to my good fortune there was a campground nearby.

By the most direct route the trip from Holiday to Ocala was barely over 100 miles, but my circuitous route it must have been closer to 160. Once again the rain had halted my effort to push forward. Perhaps, tomorrow would be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment