Monday, January 4, 2010

Naples by Way of Alligator Alley


My wandering ways from previous night had actually ended near the Calder Horserace Track in Miami Gardens. Being a horse fan (my reining horse is Royal Kandy Kid) I just had to have a closer look.

The track is beautiful, and I was fortunate to have some jockeys, in full regalia, working their horses on the tracks turf (my best guess is that they were doing some photo shoots for the press).

Alligator Alley beautiful though somewhat desolate highway as anyone whom has taken the roadway can attest. This is due in a large part to the fact that Alligator Alley is one of the few interstate highways that passes through a national park - Big Cypress National Preserve. Although the numbers of "Big" Cypress are not what one might expect, I was impressed to see large cypress trees clearly visible.

Future plans are underway to expand to expand the highway to eight or even ten lanes, so look for continued growth. Desolation may become a thing of the past, save for the protection of Big Cypress.

It was a sunny pleasant day - great for motorcycling; but, all things must past, and it wasn't long before I found myself in search for a campground.

Fortunately, success was easily achieved, and it wasn't long before I was setting up camp in the Naples KOA.

No comments:

Post a Comment