Saturday, January 16, 2010

Good Friends Last Forever

From Bernie and Carrie's house we went over to see Bernie's Mother and sister Carolyn. Mrs. Smith, though bed ridden, maintains all of her faculties, together with a witty sense of humor. With Bernie, Carrie and Carolyn's help, along with various day-care aids, she remains at home. Despite the tremendous burden that this places on the family, they wouldn't have any other way. As I've often heard Bernie say, "My Mom is not going to any
nursing home." Such is the strength of character of the entire family.

When we arrived at the house, there was sign on the door "Welcome Home Rex" (a nice touch, which was obviously Carolyn's work.)

We ate and drank in celebration of getting back together again. Bernie was my college roommate, for a period of time, while I was attending my Alma Mater, the University of California, Riverside, and Carolyn was a one time sweetheart - that somehow slipped away.

Nonetheless, we have all maintained contact over the years and have enjoyed sky trips to Aspen, Tahoe and even Mount Hood, as well as, one very memorable "Bareboat Sailing" trip to the
Caribbean.

Bernie is a local prosecuting attorney and took the time from his busy schedule to show me his
office at the courthouse and the new home he is building on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. The new home is nearing completion and will replace the previous home lost in the devastation of hurricane Katrina. Built on the site of his previous loss, the home has a "million dollar view" overlooking Lake Pontchartrain and a stately porch that spans the entire length the home. Elevated some 14 feet of the ground as flood protection, it is definitely a Louisiana home.

Bernie and Carrie are storing my Harley for me, even though I had to warn them that these are uncertain times and my scheduled return might get "derailed." Bernie said, "No problem - I'll park in the back yard under the tree" (always the joker!) It was unfortunate that I was unable to enjoy as much time as I would have liked, but it was, nonetheless, great to see everyone once again. Many thanks for everything - to the Louisiana gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment