Saturday, January 9, 2010

Naples to Port Richey

Still feeling a little shaken by the previous night's (actually - early morning) ordeal, I nonetheless, gathered things together and "hit the road."

With over 750 miles to go, no planned stops and ominous looking weather forecasts, I was eager to get started. It always seems like the closer you get to the end of the trip, the more hurried one gets. I was hoping to make it to New Orleans by Saturday night or mid-morning Sunday, and with good weather that should not have been a problem. Famous last words!

North of Port Charlotte the skies were clear and remained so across Tampa Bay and into St. Petersburg; but then things changed and in a matter of minutes I found myself in the midst of a driving rain. It was time to stop and get something eat anyway, but where were all the restaurants?

The rain had surprised me, and I hadn't put on my rain pants. Fortunately, it was cool enough that I had put my rain suit jacket on, but I was otherwise, pretty much soaked by the ordeal.

After finally finding a restaurant, in addition to eating, I was able to put on dry pants and the rest of my rain gear.

My intended plan was to take the coastal route along highway US-19, but, true to form, plans were "right on schedule" - it was already dark and I had yet to find a campground.

At a service in Port Richey I was advised that there was a campground, "...about 7 miles to the west just as you get into Holiday - right next to Bob Evans".

Often times, the people that live right in the area, are of little help when asking directions. The lady in Port Richey had given me excellent directions, but in spite of that, I still drove right by park and had to stop at another gas station and ask for assistance. The station attendant and a customer (a local resident) both had assured me that the closest campground "Was about 40 miles to the north."

Not at all convinced that they were correct (the lady in Port Richey had talked so authoritatively), I left feeling a little disgruntled and having already made the decision to head north and grab the first motel available.

Pulling back on the road and heading north, I rode less than a block before spotting the large sign advertising RV Park and Campground (right next to a Bob Evans Restaurant.) It was clearly visible and I don't know how I missed it; but, (in my defense) - a little ways off the road.

It was a nice park and very affordable (a pleasant change from Southern Florida). It was late and after a long day - it was time set up the tent and "hit the sack."

No comments:

Post a Comment