Thursday, July 1, 2010

Utah and Bryce Canyon

Each state seems more wondrous than the last, and yet I know that it is just a matter of the time frame; living in the present makes it so.

I have spent very little time in Utah and it has always been while just passing through or on a ski trip which gives one a very limited perspective.  In traveling through Utah now, it's as if I'm seeing the state for the first time, and I like what I see!

Although, even now, I know that my time here will be all too brief, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to relish as much as possible.

My image of Utah is of giant sandstone multi-shaped rock formations and that image seems ever present, but then too, there is another image that seems out of context.  This is an image that I was surprised to find; but as I traveled north out of Kanab there were beautiful peaceful looking valleys, winding streams, an elk farm and green grassy areas (although, still framed in the sandstone cliffs) that contrasted sharply with the otherwise harsh desert like terrain.  This tranquility, however, seemed short lived as I turned east towards Bryce National Park my original image was restored.

It was mid-afternoon as I rode into the aptly named Red Canyon, the gateway to Bryce Canyon.  Red Canyon is still outside of Bryce Canyon itself and is a drawing card all by itself with numerous outfitters, backpackers and horseback trail riding tours being offered to lure prospective tourists.

As I rode through Bryce Canyon I couldn't help thinking that it would be a great parwondrous,living in the present,Utah and Bryce Canyon,traveling,peaceful looking valleys,campgrounds,riding tours,riding the motorcyclek for backpacking.  There is so much to see from the overlooks, but I would have very liked to have experience the views from the bottom of the canyon.

From one end of the park to other is a mere 16 miles, but it is a spectacular park with great and unusual vistas.  Despite its relatively small size, following the winding road through the canyon and stopping to experience and photograph the great vistas, I found myself running short of time.  At the eleven mile point I turned around in order to exit park or find a campsite at one of the numerous campgrounds within the park.

It was approaching dusk as I turned into one of the north end campgrounds near the entry to the park.  There was still space available, but although I knew this would be my cheapest alternative I exited the campground and the park (I was hungry there wasn't any food available inside the park at this hour).                              

What I thought was perhaps my next best choice, Ruby's Inn Park & Campground and Motel, was built in 1919 to service tourist visiting Bryce Canyon and was first known as "Tourist Rest.  Despite its long history I would give it a "3" on a scale of one to ten.

From my experience, I found Ruby's Inn to be both expensive and ill equipped (only one of the two bathroom facilities have showers and there are no paved roads), which is appalling considering their prices.  My recommendation for anyone going there would be to find a spot within the national park (their still will not be any paved roads, but there are at least showers) and you will save money too boot.

I should add that my harsh assessment of Ruby's was further aggravated by the fact that the only food they had available was grocery store snacks.  The only reason I had stopped there in the first place was in order to get both food and a camp site; but by that time I was too paranoid about the very real possibility of hitting a deer or elk to risk riding the motorcycle even for the short ride back to the campground inside the park.

2 comments:

  1. Been there a couple times. Absolutely beautiful, more impressive than the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Dave; I hope you will continue to follow me. It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete