Friday, July 2, 2010

The Beauty of Utah




Bryce Canyon is in southern Utah, and it would take me another day and half to complete my journey through the state after allowing for an overnight stop at the KOA campground in Provo, Utah.  I had been waiting on a package that was being sent (first) to my home in Michigan, and then, my son Sean, was going to forward the package to the KOA in Provo as soon as it arrived.  The only problem, it never arrived Michigan (and it still hasn't).

The KOA's are always (from my experience) excellent campgrounds with first class amenities, but they are a little "pricey" considering that I seldom use any of the amenities beyond the shower and laundry room.  On a tight budget, I choose to avoid the KOA for this reason, and this reason only (if your budget allows it, I highly recommend the KOA campgrounds).

Provo, with a population of over 115,000, is no small town, but it is Spartan clean and with the snowcapped mountains for highlight it is a sight to behold.  Although I have never been to Switzerland, the scene from downtown Provo provided an example of what I imagine it might look like.    

Despite the city attraction, When the package was not able to ship out of Michigan I chose not to extent my stay in Provo and set out the next day for Pocatello, Idaho.

People are always asking me if I'm fun and just reply with a shrug - sure.  Not very affirmative, but the truth is - You're DAMN RIGHT I'm having fun!  Why wouldn't I be, everyday brings a whole new set of experiences and more and things to see and photograph.

Photography is for me a big part of the fun, and it is always a struggle to keep myself from stopping to photograph something at each bend on the road.  If I had succumbed to all of the temptations I would still be in TEXAS!

The beautiful Mormon, Manti Temple in Manti, Utah, is only one small example of one of the many temptations.
  
Following the orders of Brigham Young, the temple was built with the donated Mormon labor of the practitioners who quarried the stone from this very site.  It took them eleven years to complete the structure, but in 1888 it was completed and still graces the city of Manti - what a beautiful sight to behold!

No comments:

Post a Comment