Friday, November 13, 2009

Day Two - Arriving at Shiloh

After five days there is a lot to catch up on.

With Sundays late start and the constant threat of a change in the mild November weather, I pushed on after dark striving to make it south of Louisville, Kentucky.

Success! Made it to "Grandma's RV Park" in Shepherdsville, Kentucky, just south of Louisville, set up tent and immediately - hit the sack!

Monday, afforded a beautiful for riding and enjoying the countryside. I was still 4-5 hours from Shiloh, (located in the Southwestern Tennessee near the Mississippi border) and arrived there in mid afternoon.

The city (?) of Shiloh consists of a bar and a bar-restaurant - and that's it! After completing my "exhausting" exploration the city of Shiloh, I entered the Shiloh National Park.

Given my late arrival I had already decided to delay my exploration until the next day and only made a cursory tour of area, being more concerned at this time about finding a campsite for the night.

Fortunately, Pickwick State Park is located a mere twelve miles away, and getting a campsite at this time of year was, of course, no problem. Unfortunately, in the face of daylight savings time, the sun sets early and it was already dark by the time I arrived at the campsite. Even in the dark, however, with modern camping "technology," setting up a tent is a breeze.

With the day completed, no electricity, no wifi and with the chilling evening air I had no difficulty in deciding my next move - sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment