Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Backtracking

While at Shiloh I discovered that I had by-passed two important battles that took place in Tennessee and had a major influence on establishing Ulysses S. Grant's importance as a General in the Union Army.

In addition, since I was only 126 South of Dover, Tennessee (the site of Fort Donelson) where one the battle took place - and so, I just had to go there. The only problem seemed to be that by going back north, I was surely pressing my luck weather wise; but the weather had thus far been so kind that it seemed to be worth the try.

My good luck continued and I arrived in Dover about mid afternoon, too late to do more than just give a cursory look at Fort Donelson, but providing me with enough time to find a campsite before dark and also grab a bite to eat. There would be plenty of time to explore Fort Donelson tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment