Saturday, June 26, 2010

Winslow, Arizona and Meteor Crater

Feeling eager to get out New Mexico (had a great time, but had to go!), I departed to the west out of Farmington intending to turn south in Shiprock to pick-up I-40 towards Flagstaff, with one stop in-between at Meteor Crater.  There was a shorter and more direct route to Flagstaff, but going that way I would miss Meteor Crater; not an option.

South of Shiprock the wind got "fierce" (a pattern that would continue all the way to Flagstaff); but after thousands of miles I've become accustomed to such minor inconsistencies, just as long as it stays a "minor" inconsistency.

After checking the map for a stopping point near Meteor Crater, I found the most likely spot to be Winslow, Arizona; with its close proximity to the crater, it seemed reasonable to expect that they would have a campground.

Winslow, Arizona - something about the name sounded familiar, but I couldn't make the connection at first.  Shortly thereafter, I found myself hearing the words (in my head) to a song that fit with - "...in Winslow, Arizona - and struggling to the recall the words.

Then, it hit me - "...in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine place to be;" but I still couldn't put my "hand" on the first stanza.  It would be two days later before I would pass - "standing on the corner" park, and solve the mystery to the first stanza - "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine place to be."

For a time, the song and the fact Winslow was (and is - still today) a stopping point on "Old Route 66," which put Winslow, Arizona on the map as a popular stopping point.

That time has past, however, (as is testified by the number run-down and closed motels which now permeate the city) and Winslow would do well to seek other opportunities.

Fortunately, their are new hotels and some signs of new life, but to me "the city father's" would do well to pay less attention to the past and try "play-up" what would seem to be there best drawing-card (the most obvious of the other opportunities that exist) - Winslow's close proximity to Meteor Crater.

Meteor Crater National Landmark is a short 16 miles to the west of Winslow, just south of I-40.  It is so close to the highway (just 6 miles) that it seems surprising that anyone traveling would pass it up; but, I'm sure that they do, and it's their loss!

The crater is a magnificent sight - 550 feet deep and 3/4 of a mile across.  It was created 50,000 years ago by a meteor that is said to have been the size of football field (small indeed, considering the size of the hole that it left - originally 700 feet deep).

In 1903 Daniel Barringer was the first to prove that the crater was formed by meteor impact rather volcanic eruption as previously believed.  Barringer spent years in researching the crater which is privately owned by the Barringer Family, as a non-profit institution.  Since the crater is privately owned, it is not eligible for National Monument status and is instead designated as a National Landmark.

Also, (probably due to its private ownership) it is surprisingly expensive ($15 per adult, including the museum) when compared to the national parks.

Even so, when all things are considered, it is still a bargain and well worth the stop.

As magnificent as it is, I spent little more than two hours at the site and almost felt guilty for leaving after such a short time.  It may have been possible to walk the bottom of the crater (I didn't ask, but also, saw no one making such a trek).  After touring the museum, talking to the rangers, and taking photographs I felt that it was best to take advantage of the time available, return to Winslow, and prepare to get a decent start for Flagstaff in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment