Monday, June 28, 2010

Flagstaff and the Lowell Observatory




The ride from Winslow to Flagstaff was less than two hours on I-40, and as I approached the city, the grade and elevation increased and the air cooled even with the rising noon day sun.  

I am sure that some time, in my distant past, I drove through Flagstaff, but it was such a memorable occasion (and just a drive through) that I don't, now, recall ever having been there; and so, I was quite impressed with my first stay in Flagstaff.

Flagstaff is smaller than I had previously thought (population 52,894 as of the 2000 census), or at least it has that small town feel, which I like.  Like many of the places I've been, Flagstaff made me feel as if it would be a great place to live -in the SUMMER!  

I'm quite certain that I couldn't deal with the often repeated statement on the weather channel - "The cold spot in the nation - Flagstaff, Arizona."

Other than just seeing the city itself, the main place that I wanted to visit in Flagstaff was the Lowell Observatory.

The Lowell Observatory is located less than two miles from downtown Flagstaff at the end of a winding road with a great overlook of the surrounding countryside.


On this day the "great overlook" hosted a surprise - the Flagstaff fire (labeled as the "Hardy Fire") had just begun and was ragging out of control.  Five days later it was 95-100% contained, but a new fire started the next day (dubbed the "Schultz Fire") and after 8 days, it is still only 55% contained.

Forest fire aside, the Lowell Observatory was a great experience.  The observatory was built in 1898 by Percival Lowell, quite simply, because he had the money and the interest to do the same.

The Lowell Observatory is best known for its discovery of the Planet Pluto (which has now officially been demoted to class of a "dwarf" planet).  There are now, officially eight planets in our solar system.  

The observatory no longer operates in an official capacity for astronomical observations, but rather a serves as an educational "tool" to educate the public about the wonders of the universe (all astronomical observations are now conducted at Anderson Mesa, 19 km southeast of Lowell Observatory).   

They offer tours throughout the day that serve well to prepare one for the real "headliner," which might be called - an evening with the stars!

Three hours later, after having left the observatory to grab a bite to eat and burn some time, I returned in anxious anticipation of an opportunity to view the stars through the 24 inch x 32 foot long (between the refractors) Clark telescope.

As I had expected there was a long line awaiting the opportunity to look through the Clark Telescope.  After waiting for the allotted time I was somewhat surprised by what I saw.  Most likely it was the build-up from looking at the pictures from inside the visitor's center; but, although I'm glad to have had the opportunity, it was less than I expected.  I went away thinking that I have been more impressed by the "Milky Way" on a good star filled night.

In the end, what did impress me, were the two smaller portable telescopes that were honed in on: the craters of the moon and the planet Saturn, respectively. 

2 comments: