Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Grand Canyon

When I left Flagstaff the Hardy Fire was still raging out of control, and its cause was unknown.  Since that time, however, they have arrested a 54 year old California man for accidentally starting the fire.  The Shultz Fire was (and is) still burning, and is now listed as 75% contained.

The ride out Flagstaff (northwest on highway 180) was a cool and comfortable motorcycle ride with surprisingly little traffic.  This land was part of the Kaibab National Forest and had apparent, restricted development; in any case there were no towns, in the 52 mile stretch before the highway connects to highway 64 and proceeds due north, and little to no housing.

My direction was of course Grand Canyon.  This would be my second trip to Grand Canyon; on the first, perhaps ten years ago (the years all seem to run together now), I walked the 9 miles down the Bridal Vail Falls trail, to the bottom of the canyon and across the Colorado River to Phantom Ranch.

The Phantom Ranch was built in 1922 by the Fred Harvey Company concessionaires, to service hikers.  It was no problem to make the trip back then (how many ever years ago), but today it may require as much as a 13 month advance reservation.

It was (and I'm sure, remains even today) a long hot hike with spectacular vistas along the way which provided another photo opportunity with each "hair-pin" turn of the wide trail.  I'm glad I made the trip and would do again without hesitation - but, not this time!

Upon reaching the Grand Canyon Visitor's Center I stopped for guidance and directions.  Although, my route was already pretty much predetermined by the only highway that follows along the south rim - highway 64.
            
It was a great ride that provided many photo opportunities for the "well prepared" photographer.  Unfortunately, I was not that "well prepared" photographer - my camera battery ran dead at the second vista opportunity.

Actually, it was not all my fault (I told myself); my camera indicated almost 1/4 of battery life left, but my camera disagreed and would not function.  In reality, I knew that it was a careless mistake to not have recharged the battery on the previous night (strike one!)

Nonetheless, I had no other choice but to return back to the visitor's center and find somewhere to give the battery the twenty minute battery charge that I believed would allow me to take all of the photos that I would need.

At the Visitors Center Bookstore, I found the likely plug-in location - surely, Grand Canyon National Park wouldn't mind my "borrowing" a little electricity!  In the entry there way foyer, between the double doors, there was an unused plug-in just waiting for me.

I thought about going up to the counter and asking for permission, or even offering to pay a reasonable fee the use of the plug-in; but then, what if they refused - then I would be TOTALLY SCREWED!

No, it would be better to take the clandestine route.


As I plugged my battery charger and surreptitiously (how surreptitious can one be in the bookstore entry way) laid it down; I was heartened by a young lady passing by, who said with an approving smile "Hey, you do what you've got to do."  Thank you, young lady!  As a side light - I must add - I donated $5.00 to box in the lobby in gratitude (see, I'm not, THAT CHEAP!)

After charging the battery the rest was easy, just point, shoot and enjoy the beauty of one of the seven natural wonders of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment