Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day Fourteen - Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania

After braking camp, I headed north into what was for me more - uncharted territory. One the things I had been looking forward to seeing was Chesapeake Bay, and I wasn't disappointed. Having not done any prior research, I was not prepared for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel system that connects the south-eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay, at Norfolk, Virginia with Virginia's Cape Charles.

I wasn't prepared the for the - Chesapeake Bay Experience. It begins with several miles bridge, after which your "dumped" into a tunnel for a few miles beneath the waters of Chesapeake Bay. You emerge from the tunnel onto a manmade island and enter onto the second bridge for - still more miles. You are now more than half way across bay, when you're once again "dumped" into, yet another tunnel which emerges onto a second manmade island. On the final leg - the bridge connects to the landfall of Cape Charles.

This area, from the southern point of the cape in Virginia, through a few miles in Maryland, to Dover, Delaware, is a series small, seemingly prosperous cities or perhaps even villages. The whole cape (or is it a peninsula?), bounded on the east by Chesapeake Bay and on the west by the Atlantic Ocean, appears to geographically form the natural boundaries of a state. As isolated, as it is, from the rest of Virginia, I can't help but wonder just how it is - that Virginia and Maryland, and not Delaware, came to acquire the major that part of that cape/peninsula. How is it that, the major land area was somehow bequeathed to Virginia and not Delaware. Food for thought!

From Delaware I proceeded to the east and entered into New Jersey. I was impressed with what New Jersey, in the short time I spent there; but, like my time in Savannah, once again, I departed feeling that I had not done justice to - The Garden State.

At this point, as I entered the state of Pennsylvania, were the weather was becoming a ever increasing factor. Now wrapped in my leather jacket, I reflected back on how - just yesterday, I rode all day a Harley T-shirt!

I was growing weary and eager to find a campground in order to rest for the night. Unfortunately, on the Pennsylvania turnpike, as well as other interstate highways, campgrounds are not well advertised along the way.

As dusk settled in the fall chill increased, and having not found a campsite I made "my own", and hoped I wouldn't be discovered and "booted out".

No comments:

Post a Comment