Thursday, May 13, 2010

Making Amends in Lake Charles

For the first two weeks after leaving Michigan, I had the pleasure of staying with Bernie and Carrie while exploring New Orleans with their home serving as my outpost (many thanks, Bernie and Carrie).  Now, however, I'm on my own.

Life on the road is not a discomfort (most of the time) save the task of finding a campground; but, that too, should be less of a burden than I make it.  If more time were spent planning my direction and searching (via the internet) for campgrounds along the way, my burden would be substantially reduced.

My tent is much larger than needed, but it is what I had, is lightweight, packs compactly and is a breeze to erect - so why change?  Since most campgrounds have laundry facilities, that too is not big a problem.  Laundry time is blogging time.

Sleeping on the ground without an air mattress (too much trouble), as has been said before, is no discomfort at all; and rolling up and packing the sleeping bag is (almost) as easy as making one's bed.

The one comfort that is most regrettable is not having the ability to prepare my own meals.  That too, may be possible with a little more planning, but it's hard to imagine just how this can be done.  There is just not room for packing food and cooking utensils (however small).  

A week after leaving Mandeville and I've have thus far traveled through Natchez and Vicksburg, Mississippi, Natchitoches, Lafayette and finally to Lake Charles, Louisiana where the night was spent at the beautiful Sam Houston Jones State Park.

The question is - Am I going to fast or too slow?  The sense is that, most likely, the pace is to fast; but it's hard to convince myself to - Slow Down!

After leaving Mandeville (north of New Orleans) their is still the lingering feeling that after two weeks, justice has  still not been done to the New Orleans area.  It's too late now, the solution is to correct my errant ways and do better in the future.  The real problem is - what has been for me, an ongoing problem - keeping abreast of my blog.  Thus far, it seems to have been impossible to force myself to finish the blog before leaving the area.

It is the definition of insanity - repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result.  I keep leaving the area before the job is done and expect that it will not be a problem.

In the past there was justification for not staying in the area and finishing the blog before going on to the next stop.  However, since coming to Louisiana,  there has been ample opportunity to - Do it right; but have, thus far, I've failed to do so.

Today begins my quest to make amends; I vow to finish the Vicksburg, Natchitoches, Lafayette and Lake Charles blogs before leaving Lake Charles, and then take it one day at a time - the pressure is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment