Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Thanksgiving Dinner

From Savannah I had planned ride to south of Jacksonville, Florida and stop to visit my nephew Greg and his Wife Emily.
However, Greg's job high security
aircraft mechanic, requires him to travel to distant parts of the world for weeks at a time, and he would be departing shortly. Perhaps, another time.

Dusk was fast approaching as I passed though Tybee Island headed for Brunswick, Georgia or as far south I could get before total darkness. Scenic highway 17 is somewhat desolate and I knew the deer would be running, but with little traffic I could run, much of the time, with my bright lights on.

Fortunately, although it was dark by the time I reached Brunswick, I made it safely. The temperature had remained in the low 60's all day, but when the sun went down it turned it, quite literally, into a very cool ride. I stopped to get warm up, grab a bite to eat and ponder my next move.
It Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. Normally, I would probably be out shopping for second need, in preparation for the big day. Now I was considering trying to find a shelter or halfway house, just to - feel the experience. Perhaps, I thought I could volunteer to work on the food line.

Checking my cell phone's voice mail, I discovered a message from Greg and Emily. Greg would not be leaving so soon after all, and they were asking me join them Thanksgiving dinner. Sure beats the Soup Line!

I called and talked to Greg and told him that I was still in Brunswick, Georgia. He advised me that I was only about 45 minutes to an hour from his house and advised me to continue on.

In deference to the deer and in effort to speed things up, I headed south on I-95. As it turned out, a few minutes later, I found myself snarled in traffic and moving at crawling pace (and sometimes not moving at all) for some, still, unknown reason. The delay was probably more than 30 minutes. And so my expected 9-9:30 arrival, turned out to be 10:30 PM.

Greg and Emily showed me around the house and I marveled all the things that Greg had accumulated in his travels and at just how tastefully they were displayed.

Being the great hosts that they are, they offered me a beer, and another, and .... It was after 2:00 AM when we finally expired - Great Fun!

__________________________________________

In the morning Greg showed me his, "pride and joy," a 1975 BMW that he has restored to "like new" condition, and even better - given the redone interior.

I am still amazed at how, seemingly, effortlessly Emily prepared the FEAST! I'm sure she would probably confess that is was not really all that easy, but she made it look easy. I graciously devoured everything, but the tablecloth.

Many thanks to Greg and Emily.

1 comment:

  1. awwwww, you are too sweet!!! it was such a great pleasure and honor to have you in our little abode.

    hopefully next time we get to do other "sunshine state activities" um, like more riding??? hahahahaha. don't worry, there's tons more to see and do.

    take care!!!

    ReplyDelete